On August 14th, 2017, CBS New York reported that eight people in New Jersey had been hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning. According to the reporting, four New Jersey police officers had to be treated for exposure after they responded to an emergency scene in which four unconscious carbon monoxide poison victims were discovered in a Mount Olive home. Thankfully, due to the quick response of emergency workers and others, all victims are expected to make a full recovery.
Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | Schedule an Appointment
Don’t put your family and friends at rick of carbon monoxide poisoning. Get your home or facility checked by a professional
Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous substance. In this case, officials found that the carbon monoxide level in this home was more than 1,500 parts per one million. To put that number into perspective, the safe level of sustained carbon monoxide in a home is zero parts per one million. In recent days, state officials have determined that the source of the problem was a faulty hot water heater in the home. One of the scariest things about carbon monoxide is that it has no odor and you cannot see it. This is why you need to protect yourself and your family by installing a should a working sensor that will test for carbon monoxide in your house. Here, our top-rated clean air professionals discuss the best way to test for carbon monoxide.
Three Steps to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide
- Purchase a Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector
Every New Jersey homeowner should get a carbon monoxide detector for their home. There are many great CO detectors on the market, and they are relatively inexpensive. While the specific price can vary considerably, you can typically acquire a high-quality carbon monoxide detector for less than $50.
- Make Sure You Get a Carbon Monoxide Detector with Advanced Safety Features
Should carbon monoxide actually be present in your house, you need to get out immediately. A good CO detector should act as an alarm. It is highly recommended that New Jersey homeowners get a carbon monoxide detector with a built-in alarm that emits a sound that is loud enough to hear from anywhere in your house.
- Make Sure You Have Full Coverage of Your Home
In some cases, one single carbon monoxide detector is appropriate for a house. However, for larger homes, you should install multiple detectors inside of your house. It is important to find the right placement for each detector so that you can have full coverage of the air in your home. As a general rule, there should be one carbon monoxide alarm on each story of your house, and these detectors should be placed away from things, such as a fire place, that might trigger a false alarm.
Contact Our Home Repair Experts Today
Do you have any concerns about the air quality in your home? We can help. At Team Electric, Plumbing & Air in Manalapan, New Jersey, our heating, cooling, and plumbing experts are committed to providing homeowners in New Jersey will fast, affordable, careful service. Our technicians will always respect your property. For immediate assistance, please call us now at (732) 786-9231.